Share this publication:
Background: Rosacea is a common, incurable skin barrier disorder characterized by relapses and remissions.
Purpose: To evaluate the efficacy of Farmaka Rosacea Cream (FRC), a novel topical formulation for rosacea.
Methods: This single-center, open-label pilot study comprised a single-dose substudy in 20 healthy subjects and a long-term, repeat-dose substudy in 22 subjects with rosacea. The 2-hour, controlled, single-dose substudy assessed the soothing and reepithelialization properties of FRC after stripping-induced erythema based on the erythema index, transepidermal water loss, skin hydration, and clinical assessments of erythema. In the long-term substudy, subjects applied FRC twice daily for 8 weeks. Clinical assessments included vascular and pigmentary homogeneity and erythema and hemoglobin indices. Subjects completed questionnaires to assess FRC efficacy and cosmetic acceptability.
Results: Greater reductions were seen in FRC-treated areas compared with untreated areas for the erythema index (-16% versus -8%; P<0.001) and mean transepidermal water loss (-35.8% versus -10.1%; P<0.001) 30 minutes after stripping. Significant improvements over untreated areas were maintained 2 hours after stripping. Skin hydration and clinical erythema assessments also indicated that FRC soothed rosacea symptoms and promoted skin reepithelialization. Erythema and hemoglobin indices were significantly reduced from baseline after 4 and 8 weeks of treatment. Clinically assessed parameters were significantly improved following FRC application. Subjects assessed FRC positively.
Conclusion: Improvement of rosacea symptoms was noted with FRC application. The main film-forming ingredients of FRC (trehalose, cholesterol, ceramide, and fatty acids), combined with other soothing and calming ingredients and ultraviolet filters, could explain its efficacy.
About the publisher:
We are a publishing house devoted to reuse CC-BY licensed published materials.
Using CC-BY licenses:
YOU ARE FREE TO:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- for any purpose, even commercially.
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
UNDER THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others
from doing anything the license permits.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.